There are certain fatty foods that, far from being harmful, provide us with very beneficial nutrients for our health. Despite their bad reputation, they can even help us lose weight
Because the consumption of fatty foods has almost always been seen as a negative , the intake of processed foods, sugars and refined carbohydrates has been increased. The result? An obese, tired and sick population.
Fortunately, new studies help us understand that some fatty foods are actually more beneficial than we think . Indeed, not all fats are “bad”.
So today we want to make a list of recommended and healthy fatty foods. These are natural and delicious products that will help you have a more balanced diet and improve your health.
Take note and start including them.
The avocado is something different from the rest of the fruits. While fruits are usually high in carbohydrates, avocados are dominated by fats.
It is made up of 77% healthy fats . Indeed, the predominant fatty acid in this fruit is oleic acid, also found in olive oil, associated with many health benefits. Also, avocado is one of the best vegetable sources of potassium. In fact, an avocado contains 40% more potassium than a banana.
On the other hand, if what you are concerned about is that your bad cholesterol (LDL) rises and affects your cardiovascular health , you should know that avocado is rich in fiber. This means that when you consume it regularly, it helps lower triglycerides and LDL cholesterol .
Actually, it is not so rare that cheese is one of the allowed fats, if we consider that to produce a slice of cheese requires a cup of whole milk.
- This means that it is a good source of calcium, vitamin B12, phosphorus, and selenium.
- A slice of cheese contains 6.7 g of protein.
- Like other foods derived from milk, it is rich in healthy fatty acids .
Now you know, include a good piece of cheese in your diet every day to make sure you get all its benefits.
3. Dark chocolate
Did you think there wasn’t going to be something delicious on the fatty food list? Chocolate is here and we will give you some good reasons.
Dark chocolate is not only delicious, but it has 11% fiber and is a source of iron, magnesium and manganese . It also contains a high percentage of antioxidants.
- Some of the antioxidants found in dark chocolate help lower blood pressure and prevent bad cholesterol (LDL) in the blood from oxidizing.
- For this to happen, you must eat a square of dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa) five times a week.
Although it is a delicious food, remember to watch the quantities you consume and its quality . It will be useless to eat a chocolate bar full of sugars every day. In fact, this could be detrimental to you.
4. Whole eggs
For years, there was an idea that whole eggs were unhealthy. Indeed, it s and used to think that the yolks were rich in cholesterol and fats harmful to the cardiovascular system.
- A single egg contains 212 mg of cholesterol, but this barely represents 71% of the cholesterol you should consume per day . Furthermore, the cholesterol in eggs does not affect blood cholesterol.
- In addition, 62% of the calories in a whole egg come from fat.
The interesting thing is that these numbers that may seem so dangerous or harmful will not actually affect you negatively. L os eggs are completely natural and contain many of the nutrients that your body needs:
- They are rich in antioxidants that prevent eye damage .
- They provide nutrients that promote brain health.
- They are high in protein, so they will make you feel full and will facilitate weight reduction.
- They are rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
Whenever you eat eggs, make sure to keep them healthy. That is, avoid mixing them with other fats, such as bacon .
5. Coconut and coconut oil
Coconut and its oil are one of the best sources of saturated fat that we can find. In fact, 90% of its composition is saturated fatty acids. Therefore, people who consume it regularly are less likely to have heart problems and are in excellent health.
The fatty acids in coconut are metabolized in a slightly different way than the rest, since they go directly to the liver and there they are converted into ketones. Also, coconut helps suppress appetite and speeds up metabolism .
If you have a family history of Alzheimer’s you should know that coconut oil has been associated with reducing its symptoms.
As you can see, we must not demonize fats. They are as important as any other macronutrient. Of course, make sure it is healthy fats, such as the foods that we have proposed.
On the other hand, never forget that excesses, even healthy foods, are never good. The key is in moderation and balance.